Friday, November 2, 2018

The Gumby Gumby Medicine Tree


Shade near the salt lake
A whiteness all shimmering
And shade in the Pilbara
By red rock simmering

A weeping green willow
Where few people go
And desert winds blow
Where the creeks rarely flow

I rest in the shade
Like the red kangaroos
Cool under leafiness
While the outside world stews

I first came across gumby-gumby medicine tree in the Pilbara in 1980s. We called this incongruously lush and beautiful tree by its Latin name of Pittosporum phylliraeoides and I collected large volumes of its brilliant red seeds for use in mine-site revegetation. It was years later in Queensland that I heard about a miraculous medicine tree called Gumby-gumby. It's leaves were being commercially harvested for medicinal tea and it was being researched by a number of Universities. I have long been interested in bush medicines and soon discovered that the plant in question was Pittosporum angustifolium. This species had previously been lumped with the  Pittosporum phylliraeoides I was used to but recently split into its own species. I consulted my reference books, including the magnificent Traditional Aboriginal Medicines of the Northern Territory, written by the Aboriginal Communities of the Northern Territory, and discovered that the Pitjantjatjara People called it Kumpalypa and used it to treat sore muscles and bruises. The bright red seeds were ground to make an oily preparation which was massaged into the affected area. The online information about Gumby-gumby seemed largely confined to the use of its leaves as a medicinal tea. I could not find information about the use of the seed to treat muscle-pain and decided to experiment. I eventually landed on a brilliant orange infusion of seed in coconut oil. A friend confirmed that the bright colour was Beta-carotene and it was stable in the soap making process. It creates brilliant-orange soap. It was also marvellously effective in treating sore joints and muscles. I have now been giving it to friends for a couple of years and it is proving to be highly effective on sore backs, sore knees and sore muscles. In my personal experience  it is at least as effective as Ibruprofen and it works in the same way by reducing inflammation.  I have now decided to make it more broadly available and have set up a website. It's great stuff and can be ordered through www.envirowizard.solutions.









No comments:

Post a Comment